Saturday, January 30, 2010

SHOUT


Friends shout for other friends.

In the US we say "treat." In Korea, they are saying "shoot" (as in with a gun, which is weird because guns are illegal in Korea as they are here. That's why when you watch a Korean gangster movie, they're beating each other up with big sticks. I find these action sequences extremely cathartic). I know because I saw a bunch of young Koreans saying "I'll shoot this soju/yummy samgyeopsal meal" on a TV drama once, but that was a couple of years ago, and trends change so quickly over there.

In Stralia we say "shout." And it's generally limited to coffee and alcoholic beverages (which I'm trying to cut down on for health reasons so people will have to shout green tea and strawberry smoothies for me instead) though sometimes really nice friends will shout meals. I'm not sure how this piece of slang came to be. Perhaps it has something to do with all the noise in the bars?

No comments:

Post a Comment